Dear Diary

Through the course of multiple journal entries, I pushed myself to defeat a common addiction/problem I have had all my life. I attempted to be healthier, better me, picking the salad instead of the cheeseburger or the veggie sub instead of pepperoni pizza. At the beginning of this experiment, I worked really hard to achieve these goals, picking a healthy sub or salad and drinking water rather than soda. If I did achieve these goals, I would reward myself by watching an episode of my favorite T.V show, relaxing and just enjoying my night. Later in the week, I was not as successful with my goals, eating late night sweets and drinking soda for dinner. I believe my behavior for eating and drinking healthier fluctuated by day, as some days I were better than others. I feel the biggest problem was not enough motivation. If I were to do it all over again, I would pick something else as my reinforcement.

 This idea of reinforcement and behavior comes from this leaning psychology called operant conditioning. Operant conditioning is where you use positive/ negative reinforcement to increase a behavior and negative/positive punishment to decrease a behavior.
Using a journal and attempting to decrease a behavior or increase a behavior by using negative/positive reinforcement or punishment is an example of Operant Conditioning. 

I challenge you to do this yourself!! Make a journal and  write down each day how you tried to change your addiction/ behavior. See if



Comments

  1. Loved your blog! I completely agree on how difficult it is to stay motivated, especially when it comes to eating better. I am the exact same way, I will start to eat better and workout and then slowly fade away from what I originally set my mind on. I love how you tied this into everything we are talking about in psych.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ben! This was such a great blog! I tried eating healthy at the beginning of this semester and it was so diffcult! SO I can definitely relate to you and your 7-day challange description! I liked how you mentioned something from last weeks lecture! The only thing I have a concern about is the ending of your typing. It may just be my laptop, and correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like you you didn't finish your sentence at the very end before you show the screenshots of the journal entries. Other than that you did great!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Just Because Birds Have Wings Doesn't Make Them Good Flyers.

You Probably Won't Remember This Blog